Falling for Love
Don't forget to check out the new Word of the Day! Very Happy
Falling for Love
Don't forget to check out the new Word of the Day! Very Happy
Falling for Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place dedicated to Western-Egyptian relationships, where those who have experience can share, and those who are just beginning can explore.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old Words of the Day

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MadamBahnasi

Contributions Made: : 14

Old Words of the Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Misr_is_Love wrote:
When greeting someone in Egypt, one may often hear the common phrase "Salam alyukum" (Peace be upon you) but there are many ways to greet someone in Egypt. One of these is the phrase "How are you?"

Today's word is izayyak (to a male)/izayeek (to a female)

In Arabic, this is written: إزّيّك؟

One may answer by replying "kwayis/kwayisa" (good) or "Hamdulilah" (Thank God)

Good Luck!

I wanted to touch on a few things here... spelling in arabic differs from person to person however when spelling Islamic terms it is very important that you spell them properly and in their entirety. Hamdulillah is not a word.

It is "Al7amdulillah" the 7 is in place of the H because you should have a Haa sound not just a H sound.

When greeting someone in Egypt you can say Asalaamu Alaikum not Salam Alyukum The reason it is so important to say the words right is they lose some meaning when you omit letters or sounds. And the honest truth is you will not greet just anyone with Asalaamu Alaikum Egypt is comprised of many Christians and though all of them know the Islamic terms it is best to great them on their terms rather then Islamic terms for their comfort and giving them respect. I have tons of Christian friends in Egypt and all of them simply say Hi or Hey or they dont greet with these types of greetings rather they greet with the question izzayik or izzayak.

I know yes it seems like being the grammar police is a bad thing but when speaking arabic it really must be said that when pronouncing arabic you must do it right because just one sound different cant cause the word to mean a totally different thing.
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

Contributions Made: : 228

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for your input MadamBahnasi! It is important to note that "As-Salamu Alaykum" is an Islamic greeting. It is not, however, incorrect to ommit the "As-" at the beginning. It may not be religiously preferred, but it is still an accepted greeting form and is used in Egypt more often than with the "As-". As this forum is for those living in, or wishing to live in Egypt, I think that it is important to introduce what is common in Egypt.

It should be noted that Arabic in each country is spoken differently. Proper Arabic is not even known to many of the people living in Egypt. It is often what is taught to foreigners, but if one proceeded to speak in proper Arabic with most Egyptians, they would have a harder time following the conversation than someone speaking as they do (that is not to say that one should use improper grammar among those who don't know any better, but it is to say that the accepted forms of words and phrases is different in Egypt than in Saudi Arabia, for example).

According to the Qu'ran, it is accepted by God to say the words of the Qur'an as you can. Those who cannot pronounce the 7 sound may still try, which will probably turn out like "ha" anyway, instead of "kha". Many Muslims around the world are not born speaking Arabic, and therefore, must try as they can. It is true that when writing the verses of the Qur'an, it should be written in High Arabic, as the Qu'ran is written, and that the words of the Qur'an are written in a form of Arabic different from all others, that tells the reader not only how to pronounce a word, but also how long each syllable should be held. However, when using English letters to describe an Arabic word, religious or not, it cannot be said that "Hamdulilah" is not a word. The "Al" at the beginning ("Alhamdulilah") is also often ommitted, like in "Salamu Alaykum". It is not incorrect, nor religiously offensive.

"Allah imposes not on any soul a duty beyond its scope. For it, is that which it earns (of good), and against it that which it works (of evil). Our Lord, punish us not if we forget or make a mistake. Our Lord, do not lay on us a burden as T hou didst lay on those before us. Our Lord, impose not on us (asslictions) which we have not the strength to bear. And pardon us! And grant us protection! And have mercy on us! Thou art our Patron, so grant us victory over the disbelieving people." (The Cow: 286)
Back to top Go down
http://oneheartinegypt.blogspot.com/
MadamBahnasi

PostSubject: August 28, 2011   Old Words of the Day EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:23 pm

You are absolutely right about the difference in Arabic. I lived now in four different arabic countries and so far I am truly amazed at how I do not understand what any of the others are saying to me as I speak Arabic to them. I personally only know Egyptian Arabic as in understanding and speaking however, I have learned Khaleeji Arabic, Fusha, Kuwaiti, and Bahraini since I have lived in the GCC. I do not speak it but can understand it better. You are right when I first learned Arabic I learned Fusha which is classical Arabic. In fact, I dont really remember much other then how are you in this dialect but the fact remains that we must be careful when speaking Arabic because one way of saying a word may mean something completely different if the words arent pronounced properly. Though this is rare in Qu'ran it can happen. However, it does happen in spoken Egyptian Arabic and I am guilty of doing it in fact I do it on purpose these days just to annoy my teacher "Husband".

If any of you are reading for instance words that maybe some of us will post you may find numbers replacing letters this is due to the fact that we are trying to spell the word in english as close as possible to the true arabic. ;-)

I try only use the 7 but will use 2, 3, and 5 often as well because they confuse people tremendously.

Misr_is_Love wrote:

It should be noted that Arabic in each country is spoken differently. Proper Arabic is not even known to many of the people living in Egypt. It is often what is taught to foreigners, but if one proceeded to speak in proper Arabic with most Egyptians, they would have a harder time following the conversation than someone speaking as they do (that is not to say that one should use improper grammar among those who don't know any better, but it is to say that the accepted forms of words and phrases is different in Egypt than in Saudi Arabia, for example).

According to the Qu'ran, it is accepted by God to say the words of the Qur'an as you can. Those who cannot pronounce the 7 sound may still try, which will probably turn out like "ha" anyway, instead of "kha". Many Muslims around the world are not born speaking Arabic, and therefore, must try as they can. It is true that when writing the verses of the Qur'an, it should be written in High Arabic, as the Qu'ran is written, and that the words of the Qur'an are written in a form of Arabic different from all others, that tells the reader not only how to pronounce a word, but also how long each syllable should be held. However, when using English letters to describe an Arabic word, religious or not, it cannot be said that "Hamdulilah" is not a word. The "Al" at the beginning ("Alhamdulilah") is also often ommitted, like in "Salamu Alaykum". It is not incorrect, nor religiously offensive.

"Allah imposes not on any soul a duty beyond its scope. For it, is that which it earns (of good), and against it that which it works (of evil). Our Lord, punish us not if we forget or make a mistake. Our Lord, do not lay on us a burden as T hou didst lay on those before us. Our Lord, impose not on us (asslictions) which we have not the strength to bear. And pardon us! And grant us protection! And have mercy on us! Thou art our Patron, so grant us victory over the disbelieving people." (The Cow: 286)
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:03 pm

See the following for all of the old words of the day and their discussions:
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:19 pm

August 28, 2011

The word in Arabic: (مافيش مشكلة)

The English letter translation: Mafish Mushkila

How to say it: Muh-feesh Moosh-keela

What it means in English: "No problem!"
Back to top Go down
Amber&Mony
Amber&Mony

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Misr_is_Love wrote:
August 28, 2011

Love this phrase! I use it often!! yoou can also say mish ma sheikhl to mean the exact same thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 pm

When I was working at the hotel, I think I heard this phrase maybe 20 times every day. I think it is engraved in my skull now, lol.
Back to top Go down
lanita1000
Contributor
Contributor
lanita1000

Contributions Made: : 90

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 2:50 am

I love this idea!!!! looking forward to the word for tomorrow Very Happy hmmmmm how about a weekly Dish recipe ??? Hint Hint LOL..
Back to top Go down
Amber&Mony
Amber&Mony

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:52 pm

lanita1000 wrote:
I love this idea!!!! looking forward to the word for tomorrow Very Happy hmmmmm how about a weekly Dish recipe ??? Hint Hint LOL..

I have some great recipes Smile If I'm not to lazy to dig them out of my documents folder..lol :pyramid: :egyptiandance:
Back to top Go down
YallaBina
Obsessed Poster
Obsessed Poster
YallaBina

Contributions Made: : 145

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Misr_is_Love wrote:
August 28, 2011

I said this to Peter today! He said I speak Arabic very well hehehe. Thanks! Keep 'em comin'!

farao
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: August 28. 2011   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm

You can also just say "Mafish" like "finished, the end". I forgot to mention that...
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: sptember old word of the day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 pm

August 29, 2011

The word in Arabic: (من فاضلك)

The English letter transliteration: Min fadlak (male)/ Min fadlek (female)/ Min fadlokoum (plural)

How to say it: Men fod-lock (male)/ Men fod-leck (female)/ Men fod-luh-koom (plural)

What it means in English: Please

The word in Arabic: (ممكن)

The English letter transliteration: Mumkin

How to say it: Moom-kin

What it means in English: Can you?

Put them together: Mumkin mind fadlak (Can you please?)
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

September 1, 2011

The Word in Arabic: تمام

The English Letter Transliteration: Tamam

How to Say It: Teh-mehm

What it Means in English: Ok; Complete; Perfect

*There are a lot of ways to use Tamam. Look at some of the following examples to get a better idea of how to use the word:

Example 1: If you finish something and want to ask someone for their approval.

Example 2: Used to describe your approval of another person.

Example 3: If someone asks how your health is, you may use it to say your health is good.
Back to top Go down
YallaBina
Obsessed Poster
Obsessed Poster
YallaBina

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Tamam ya Claire Wink
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Pyramid Shukran! Pyramid
Back to top Go down
YallaBina
Obsessed Poster
Obsessed Poster
YallaBina

PostSubject: jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj   Old Words of the Day EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 2:55 am

Misr_is_Love wrote:
Pyramid Shukran! Pyramid

farao Afwannnnnn habibi farao
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 3:56 pm

September 4, 2011

The word written in Arabic: قشطة

English letter transliteration: Khishtah

How to say it: Ish-tuh (The "Kh" is silent)

What it means in English: In real Arabic, this word means "cream", but is used often in Egypt as a slang word meaning "cool/good/perfect.
Back to top Go down
lanita1000
Contributor
Contributor
lanita1000

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 1:18 am

Thanks for the info...I've seen it spelled like Eshta too...When I say it my love always laughs at me...One time he posted a song to me with that title...
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 1:21 am

Rolling Eyes My husband just told me that if it was the title of a song, it was probably a different meaning of the word "pretty like a white girl". Haha Shocked
Back to top Go down
lanita1000
Contributor
Contributor
lanita1000

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 am

LMAO!!!!! No wonder he was laughing so hard at the song..... and yes, it had girls in skimpy dresses... so after listening to it...i often bust out singing "Eshta Eshta" and he laughs so hard he almost falls out of the chair.....LOL
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 2:32 am

lol, you beautiful white girl, you... Razz
Back to top Go down
YallaBina
Obsessed Poster
Obsessed Poster
YallaBina

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 am

Yay! I have not heard this one before...next time I talk to Peter, I WILL be showing off my new word Wink
Back to top Go down
lanita1000
Contributor
Contributor
lanita1000

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 3:20 am

https://youtu.be/EBT5s7iwb3c <------------------ Hopefully it posted correctly, but if you want to see what song i am referring to here is the link LOL Thanks Claire...I am half of a white girl Very Happy
Back to top Go down
YallaBina
Obsessed Poster
Obsessed Poster
YallaBina

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 3:33 am

hahaha...yes, those are white girls lol. I think Mo was right about this one Smile

Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator
Misr_is_Love

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 1:12 pm

Hahaha, wow... I don't know if you can get any whiter than those girls!! Think the casting call said something like, "Wanted: Very very white girls only!!".

And yes, Anita you're 50% "white", 50% Choctaw, and 100% beautiful. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Words of the Day   Old Words of the Day Empty

Back to top Go down

Old Words of the Day
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Falling for Love :: The Arabic Language-
Jump to: