Falling for Love
Don't forget to check out the new Word of the Day! Very Happy

A place dedicated to Western-Egyptian relationships, where those who have experience can share, and those who are just beginning can explore.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

International Adapters for curling irons etc...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lanita1000
Contributor
Contributor

Contributions Made: : 90

PostSubject: International Adapters for curling irons etc...   Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 am

Just wanted to know if I will need to purchase an international adapter for the electrical outlets in Cairo,Luxor, Aswan? I will be toting my flat iron,curling irons, and hot rollers with me... I have to be able to operate these machines or my hair will look like this geek !!!!! My love and I plan on taking professional pictures together..I can't be beside my handsome hubby with a Lions mane affraid Also if anyone knows of any hair product tricks to share while i am there let me know. I will be there the month of December so I am not sure how the weather will be during that time Question Question
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator

Contributions Made: : 228

PostSubject: Re: International Adapters for curling irons etc...   Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:18 pm

YES! Take an international adapter. You can buy them there, but I'd suggest getting every electrical thing that you can from the US (better quality). The electricity over there is twice what it is here. Your appliances would fry within seconds. Also, I BELIEVE that you need the same adapter for your hair things that one would use for a microwave or even a refridgerator! I remember laughing that those two needed the same voltage in an adapter. All you need to do though is to go to radio shack and they'll show you. It will say on the adapter. I found conflicting stories about what the plugs look like. It should look like this:

Obsessed Poster
Obsessed Poster

Contributions Made: : 145

PostSubject: Re: International Adapters for curling irons etc...   Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:25 am

Yep, just do as Claire says and head to the Radio Shack in Egypt. I'm not sure about the weather in Luxor/Aswan, but I can tell you that in December, they had beautiful weather in Ismailia, Egypt (an hour and a half east of Cairo). I have the temperature for Ismailia on my cell phone so I can compare lol. In December, it was the same as Central Florida within 1 to 5 degrees. Low = mid to high 50's, High = low 70's...with the average in the 60's. Great hair weather Wink
Back to top Go down
Misr_is_Love
Administrator

Contributions Made: : 228

PostSubject: Re: International Adapters for curling irons etc...   Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 am

About the weather (sorry, I didn't realize you asked until I read Ashley's reply) well, I went to Cairo in February and it was maybe about... 75 or 80? It's not humid, so it's hard for me to tell the degrees. I'm used to it being unbearable when it's only about 75, just because of the humidity where my parents live. It was warm, a lot warmer than I'd like it to be in December (yay snow!), but it wasn't too bad. I think that I wore short sleeves, but took a jacket with me for the evenings.

You can buy your adapter from Radio Shack in Egypt if you want to. It might be cheaper, but my experience with Egyptian electronics is that you're better off just buying your own in the US. This is going to sound really strange to probably any American, but Egyptians deal with something called "copies". They are literally electronic products that are created in China at a lower grade than the original, but sold for the same price, or even some times higher, than the original itself. That's how a lot of the business make money. So, when you're buying electronics, the big question to ask is if it's original or a copy. If it's a copy, then you can bet your bottom dollar it won't do any good for you, and you'll end up frying your straighener. I suggest taking your own and buying it here, but it's truly up to you. Just be careful not to buy anything in Egypt that might be a "copy", if you're going to use it for something like protecting your own things.

If you're taking a laptop, I might suggest not using your own cable (which has an adapter inside the little box), but buying something called a universal adapter. It's a the cord for a laptop that basically comes with all different types of things to hook to the end, so it will fit any laptop. You can buy them with the Egyptian plug type, and it will be made for 220, so you don't have to worry about frying your own. It's super cheap, like 20 dollars or something like that, and well worth it. Because if you fry your own original adapter for your laptop, then it may cost 80-200 dollars to replace it once you get back.

Contributor
Contributor

Contributions Made: : 90

PostSubject: ADAPTERS   Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 am

I would just like to write an update about the adapter issue..So, I thought I would be cheap and buy a used adapter off of craigslist before i left for Egypt...ugh not a good idea Crying or Very sad One of my large gold curling irons stopped working a couple of weeks into my stay, and the other funnel barrel curling iron would get extremely hot quickly and it finally quit working too Suspect I went to Spinneys and purchased one from there, but it was not the same quality as here in the U.S. but it worked so I can't complain. Next time I will just quit trying to be so cheap and purchase the 50 dollar adapter from Radio shack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: International Adapters for curling irons etc...   

Back to top Go down

International Adapters for curling irons etc...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Falling for Love :: Living in Egypt-
Jump to: